Katara murder case: SC dismisses UP govt`s plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday dismissed
a petition filed by Uttar Pradesh government seeking
permission to file an appeal in the Nitish Katara murder case.
"After the case has been transferred outside Uttar
Pradesh, does it have anything to do with the case?" a Bench
comprising Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan and Justice Deepak
Verma asked the state government before declining its plea.
Besides Uttar Pradesh government, main accused in the
case Vikas Yadav, who has been sentenced to life imprisonment,
had also filed a similar petition which was heard together.
"Once the case is transferred outside the state, it is
the end of the matter (for that state government)," the Bench
said and questioned "why was the case shifted to Delhi".
"It is an assumption that the state prosecuting agencies
were unable to conduct fair trial," it further said.
Senior advocate Raju Ramachandran, appearing for the
state government, said an important question of law arises in
the case as to which state can file an appeal on transfer of a
Uttar Pradesh government had contended that the Delhi
High Court was wrong in admitting the petition of the Delhi
Police in the case.
It was submitted by Ramachandran that since Uttar Pradesh
government was the prosecuting agency, it has the authority to
file any appeal against the trial court decision.
The trial of the case was shifted to the national capital
on the order of the Supreme Court after the victim`s mother
Neelam Katara had approached it contending that there was
reasonable apprehension that she would not get fair trial in
the Ghaziabad court.
Vikas and Vishal Yadav, son and nephew of controversial
Uttar Pradesh politician D P Yadav, were convicted and awarded
life sentence for the kidnapping and murder of Katara, who was
close friend of their sister Bharti Yadav.
Katara was kidnapped from a marriage party on the night
of February 17, 2002 in Ghaziabad and was found murdered in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'