Kavi sammelan to remember 1857 movement martyrs
Noida: A rendezvous of popular Hindi and Urdu
poets was organised here to commemorate the martyrdom of
freedom fighters hailing from the present national capital
region during the 1857 movement.
The `kavi sammelan` which had patriotic recitals and
proses from historic verses, was held at the Ramlila ground
last night here and was attended by the young and old from the
villages and cities around Delhi.
"A freedom struggle was launched by the freedom fighters
from Meerut, Bulandshahar, Ghaziabad and the adjoining areas
of the present national capital area on May 10, 1857. They
took control of the area around the Hindon river on May 30.
Since then, this struggle is called the May mutiny," organiser
of the event and President of Shaheed Smriti Sansthan Rao
Sanjay Bhati said.
The `kavi sammelan` was attended by popular poets like
Ashok Chakradhar, Nawaz Deobandi, Sarita Sharma, Masoom
Ghaziabadi, TV show Laughter Challenge icon Pratap Fauzdar,
"The initiative is to bring back the glory and keep alive
the memories of all those who were either hanged or brutally
tortured by the Britishers during the 1857 independence
struggle. Almost 35 such freedom strugglers were hanged by the
Britishers at Bulandshahar when they caught them," Bhati said.
A number of villagers and common people also took part
in the struggle and were either hanged by the Britishers or
were simply killed in cold blood, he said.
A British officer in his report had said that they faced
major reverses in the Dadri area during the struggle.
"The event reminds us of the sacrifices these people made
so that we can see an independent India," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- US to seek death penalty against accused South Carolina church shooter
- These pretty Bollywood ‘mermaids’ sizzled in the pristine beaches of Goa – Pics inside
- Newly elected AIADMK MLA SM Seenivel passes away, hours before oath-taking ceremony
- UBSE / UEEB 10th Results 2016: Uttarakhand / Uttaranchal (UK) Board Class 10th Exam Results 2016 to be declared soon
- BoI net loss soars to Rs 3,567 cr as bad loans bite