Khap bars girls from wearing jeans
Muzaffarnagar (UP): In yet another instance of moral policing, a self-styled caste council or khap has banned girls from wearing jeans, blaming the attire for incidents of eve teasing and young couples eloping in a village in the district.
The Khap panchayat led by Battisa Khap Council head Baba Suraj in Bhenswal village passed the diktat which claimed that wearing jeans had a "bad effect" on young women and eve-teasing incidents had increased due to their objectionable clothes".
The panchayat also formed a five-member women committee to implement the ban.
Earlier, caste councils or kangaroo courts which have been accused of supporting honour killings had banned the use of mobile phones by unmarried girls in the district.
On November 14, all Khap panchayats from Shoram village here had assembled to oppose same gotra (sub-caste) marriages and demanded an amendment in the Hindu Marriage Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'