Khap bars girls from wearing jeans
Muzaffarnagar (UP): In yet another instance of moral policing, a self-styled caste council or khap has banned girls from wearing jeans, blaming the attire for incidents of eve teasing and young couples eloping in a village in the district.
The Khap panchayat led by Battisa Khap Council head Baba Suraj in Bhenswal village passed the diktat which claimed that wearing jeans had a "bad effect" on young women and eve-teasing incidents had increased due to their objectionable clothes".
The panchayat also formed a five-member women committee to implement the ban.
Earlier, caste councils or kangaroo courts which have been accused of supporting honour killings had banned the use of mobile phones by unmarried girls in the district.
On November 14, all Khap panchayats from Shoram village here had assembled to oppose same gotra (sub-caste) marriages and demanded an amendment in the Hindu Marriage Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie