Khap bars girls from wearing jeans
Muzaffarnagar (UP): In yet another instance of moral policing, a self-styled caste council or khap has banned girls from wearing jeans, blaming the attire for incidents of eve teasing and young couples eloping in a village in the district.
The Khap panchayat led by Battisa Khap Council head Baba Suraj in Bhenswal village passed the diktat which claimed that wearing jeans had a "bad effect" on young women and eve-teasing incidents had increased due to their objectionable clothes".
The panchayat also formed a five-member women committee to implement the ban.
Earlier, caste councils or kangaroo courts which have been accused of supporting honour killings had banned the use of mobile phones by unmarried girls in the district.
On November 14, all Khap panchayats from Shoram village here had assembled to oppose same gotra (sub-caste) marriages and demanded an amendment in the Hindu Marriage Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- Feeling proud over Mother Teresa's canonisation: PM Modi
- Oil tanker operators again suspend supplies to Kashmir Valley
- OMG! Hilarious bomb scare prank – Must Watch
- South Africa vs New Zealand, 2nd Test: Steyn, Philander strike after du Plessis ton as Proteas take control on Day 2
- Rio Olympics medallist Sakshi Malik to tie the knot soon: Report