Khap bars girls from wearing jeans
Muzaffarnagar (UP): In yet another instance of moral policing, a self-styled caste council or khap has banned girls from wearing jeans, blaming the attire for incidents of eve teasing and young couples eloping in a village in the district.
The Khap panchayat led by Battisa Khap Council head Baba Suraj in Bhenswal village passed the diktat which claimed that wearing jeans had a "bad effect" on young women and eve-teasing incidents had increased due to their objectionable clothes".
The panchayat also formed a five-member women committee to implement the ban.
Earlier, caste councils or kangaroo courts which have been accused of supporting honour killings had banned the use of mobile phones by unmarried girls in the district.
On November 14, all Khap panchayats from Shoram village here had assembled to oppose same gotra (sub-caste) marriages and demanded an amendment in the Hindu Marriage Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi