Khap mahapanchayat to demand CBI probe in Muzaffarnagar riots
Muzaffarnagar: The khap mahapanchayat in the district has decided to start a movement demanding CBI inquiry into riot cases instead of SIT probing the matter, Ghatwala Khap council head Harkishan Singh Malik said.
A movement would be started soon to demand CBI inquiry into riot cases in Muzaffarnagar and we will not allow police to make any arrests in connection with riots, he said at a Mahapanchayat in Phugana village here yesterday.
The Mahapanchayat was attended by All khap council secretary Subhash Baliyan, Ghathwala khap council head of Haryana Baljit Singh, Balyan khap council head Naresh Tikait, Battisa khap head Surajmal and Latiyan khap head Virender Singh, he said.
Another meeting would be held in Haryana to decide further cause of action, he said.
Meanwhile Bhartiya Kisan Mazdoor Manch President, Ghulam Mohammed Joula has demanded immediate arrest of gang rape accused to ensure justice to the victims.
If police failed to arrest the accused till February 28, our organisation would start agitation in March to press for the demand, he announced after the Manch`s meeting in Budhan town in the district yesterday.
It is learnt that court has issued non bailable warrants? against 349 people and attachment proceedings initiated against 108 people who are absconding.
Six cases of gang rape were registered against 27 people? during riots in which 22 people were found involved.
While one Vedpal has been arrested, 21 others are absconding and attachment proceedings against them have been initiated by the court.
Over 60 persons were killed and more than 40,000 displaced in communal violence that had broken out in Muzaffarnagar and adjoining areas in September last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today
- Rio Olympics 2016: Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu shine for India; USA top tally with 121 medals
- US Republican voters not happy with Donald Trump as presidential nominee: Poll