Khap panchayat slaps Rs one lakh fine on woman for eloping
Muzaffarnagar: A self-styled caste council has slapped a fine of Rs one lakh on the family of a woman after she eloped with her husband`s cousin and banished the
couple from the village at Kishanpur village here.
The decision was taken by the Khap Panchayat yesterday after Anuj Kumar complained to the council that his wife Rina had married his cousin brother Niraj Kumar on April 26.
The members of the panchayat yesterday asked the family members of the couple to pay a fine of Rs one lakh to Anuj.
The community elders also asked the couple to leave the village after the woman refused to leave her second husband and return to Anuj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt