Khap stops same gotra marriage, orders separation of couple
Muzaffarnagar: Continuing their opposition to same clan marriages, a khap panchayat has issued a diktat to a girl`s family not to go ahead with the marriage of their daughter within the same gotra in the district.
Village elders yesterday convened a khap panchayat and ordered the girl`s father to call off the wedding of Bablu and Priyanka, failing which the family would face social boycott.
The girl`s father called off the wedding which was to take place on June 26.
In an another case, a girl was sent back after a khap panchayat yesterday ordered a married couple to divorce as they belonged to same gotra at Hilwari village in Baghpat district.
Pinki and Ombir had married four months ago.
The match was opposed by community elders from the beginning as the two belonged to the same gotra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!