Khurshid of violates model code of conduct: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday complained to the
Election Commission that Congress leader and Union Minister
Salman Kurshid had violated the model code of conduct by
promising nine per cent sub-quota for backward Muslims in
Uttar Pradesh if voted to power.
A BJP delegation, led by party vice-president Mukhtar
Abbas Naqvi, submitted a memorandum to Chief Eelection
Commissioner S Y Quraishi in connection with reports that
Kurshid had made the announcement yesterday at a public
meeting in Farrukhabad where his wife Louis in fray.
"He has also indicated that Muslims will be benefited
from this move. This is an unconstitutional announcement and
a blatant violation of model code of conduct," BJP said.
Naqvi later told reporters that this was a "criminal
conspiracy" on the part of the Congress and a "dangerous move
towards the path of communal conflict and disharmony".
"Earlier the Congress-led government had announced it
would provide 4.5 per cent reservation to minorities within
the OBC quota and now Kurshid has said it will be 9 per cent.
This is definitely an attack on the rights and dignity of the
backward castes. This is also a dangerous conspiracy to start
a civil war," Naqvi said.
The party announced that it will not allow such
"regressive designs" to succeed. BJP leaders will hold
protests in all constituencies of UP on January 13 against
this move of the Congress.
BJP has been aggressively wooing the OBC voters in UP
and hence has opposed the quota within quota for minorities
which would shrink the share of the backward castes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city