Khurshid of violates model code of conduct: BJP
New Delhi: BJP on Tuesday complained to the
Election Commission that Congress leader and Union Minister
Salman Kurshid had violated the model code of conduct by
promising nine per cent sub-quota for backward Muslims in
Uttar Pradesh if voted to power.
A BJP delegation, led by party vice-president Mukhtar
Abbas Naqvi, submitted a memorandum to Chief Eelection
Commissioner S Y Quraishi in connection with reports that
Kurshid had made the announcement yesterday at a public
meeting in Farrukhabad where his wife Louis in fray.
"He has also indicated that Muslims will be benefited
from this move. This is an unconstitutional announcement and
a blatant violation of model code of conduct," BJP said.
Naqvi later told reporters that this was a "criminal
conspiracy" on the part of the Congress and a "dangerous move
towards the path of communal conflict and disharmony".
"Earlier the Congress-led government had announced it
would provide 4.5 per cent reservation to minorities within
the OBC quota and now Kurshid has said it will be 9 per cent.
This is definitely an attack on the rights and dignity of the
backward castes. This is also a dangerous conspiracy to start
a civil war," Naqvi said.
The party announced that it will not allow such
"regressive designs" to succeed. BJP leaders will hold
protests in all constituencies of UP on January 13 against
this move of the Congress.
BJP has been aggressively wooing the OBC voters in UP
and hence has opposed the quota within quota for minorities
which would shrink the share of the backward castes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof