Kumbh Mela: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar takes holy dip
Allahabad: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on Monday took a holy dip at Sangam while attending the Maha Kumbh mela here and said she had offered prayers for "roots" of democracy in the country to grow "deeper and deeper".
Upon her arrival in the city, Kumar drove straight to the confluence of three rivers Ganga, Yamuna and Saraswati, where the 12-yearly Maha Kumbh congregation is underway, and took a holy dip.
Later while speaking to reporters, Kumar said: "I have offered my prayers for our democracy which is the largest in the world. I have prayed that may democracy`s roots in our country grow deeper and deeper".
She also stressed on the need to keep river Ganga clean.
"Ganga occupies a unique place in our ancient culture. I feel blissful upon taking a holy dip in the river. We must, however, also make all possible efforts to keep it pure," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections