Kumbh: UP govt seeks PM`s intervention against `VI
Lucknow: Taking strong exception to a senior BSF official flouting High Court`s ruling during the `Shahi Snan` on Friday, the Uttar Pradesh government shot off a letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh seeking his intervention to ensure that `Kumbh Mela` is held smoothly.
"The High Court has stated that on special occasions and Shahi Snan days such as today, VVIPs should not be allowed nor their vehicles be allowed to ply in the Kumbh area but the DG of BSF, Subhas Joshi flouted it and created a new problem for the state government," UP`s urban development minister Azam Khan, who is also in-charge of the Kumbh Mela, said.
Khan wrote the letter to Singh asking him to "immediately issue the message that VIPS, VVIPs, leaders, capitalists, people belonging to the corporate world, officials and bureaucrats all comply with the High Court directives and help the state government in ensuring that the `Kumbh Mela` is held smoothly and in a proper manner."
Khan said that if such a senior official misuses his position it can only be imagined what the situation would be.
In view of reports that Lucknow DIG, Navneet Sikera also took a holy dip in the Sangam, Khan warned that Mela officials would have to tell as to how VVIPS were allowed to reach the ghats along with their vehicles and warned that those found responsible for the same would be punished.
According to reports Sikera drove right up to the banks of Sangam - along with his family.
When confronted by the media, he said he was unaware of the High Court order and apologised for the same.
The government has ordered an inquiry in this connection.
The Allahabad High Court yesterday passed an order that no vehicles other than ambulances and those carrying police officials on duty be allowed inside the Kumbh area on main bathing festivals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Unseen Video: On Yuvraj Singh, Hazel Keech's wedding reception, MS Dhoni greets couple with a hug