Kunda murders: CBI suspects rivalry, two held
Lucknow: CBI arrested two young men - brothers Ajay and Vijay Pal - from Balipur village of the Kunda area in Pratapgarh on charges of murdering village head Nanhe and his brother Suresh Yadav, sources said.
Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) sources said that evidence indicated that the two would emerge as prime accused in the sensational double murder of March 2, which triggered major violence in the village and led to the brutal killing, hours later, of Deputy Superintendent of Police Zia-ul-Haq.
The arrests were made Sunday. The first arrests, however, have no linkage to the killing of the police officer, sources said.
The country-made pistol and empty shells used in the murders have also been recovered by the CBI, officials said.
A mobile phone, sim card and the conversations on phone after the murders is crucial evidence, which led to the arrests, an official said.
The men are sons of Kamta Pal, a local strongman who had a long-standing animosity with the slain village head.
Dharini Mishra, spokesman of the CBI said: "A deep-rooted conspiracy cannot be ruled out in the case".
In a related development, the state government is likely to dismiss a senior inspector and a few cops for leaving Haq all alone before an unruly mob, which resulted in his death.
"The departmental probe against these people has been completed and a report submitted to the government. We hope to see these coward policemen dismissed from service and later arrested," a senior home department official said.
The bodyguard of the slain DSP had also fled the scene of crime when an irate mob lynched and then shot Zia-uld-Haq.
The 40th day rituals of the slain police officer would be held at his native village in Deoria April 9.
His widow, Parveen Azad, has demanded more security cover for her family, and has expressed satisfaction with the CBI probe, so far.
"Let me see what comes out in the end, so far I am satisfied. If justice is not done, I will continue to fight," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why