Labour Dept orders Rs 7 lakh compensation to kin of deceased
Noida: The Labour Department has asked a private contractor to pay Rs 7 lakh compensation to the family of a safai karamchari (sanitation worker) who died on Monday while cleaning a manhole outside the ESI Hospital here.
Deputy Labour Commissioner Rita Bhadoria said, "Family members of the deceased had given an application to the Labour Department seeking compensation. We have taken the complaint seriously and sent a notice to contractor Sardar Singh asking him to pay a compensation of Rs 7 lakh."
On Monday, Bablu (28), a cleaner at the ESI Hospital, had entered the manhole. When he didn`t come out for a long time, a nearby fruit-seller, Shyamveer, entered the manhole to rescue him.
A third person, Ramu, also jumped into the manhole, but he was rescued in an unconscious state.
They were pulled out and rushed to a hospital, where Bablu and Shyamveer were declared brought dead.
Later, Bablu`s relatives held protest outside the ESI Hospital and submitted a complaint at the Labour department.
National Commission for Safai Karamcharis member Vijay Kumar had visited Noida recently and met the family members of the victim and directed payment of a compensation of Rs 20 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh upholds death sentence for six militants
- Pakistani court allows examination of boat used by 26/11 attack terrorists
- Russia says starts humanitarian operation in Syria's Aleppo
- No Chinese incursion along Uttarakhand, only transgression: Manohar Parrikar
- ‘Mirzya’ boy Harshvardhan Kapoor begins shooting 'Bhavesh Joshi'