`Lack of inter-community trust resulting in communal riots`
Agra: Lack of trust between two communities is to be blamed for the communal riots that have taken place in Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yaday said on Sunday.
"They (riots) are the results of lack of trust between communities. This trust has to be restored so that amity prevails in society," Mulayam said at a book launch here.
"When I was the chief minister, I used to remain awake all night during such incidents to keep a strict watch on the communal situation...To keep it under control," he said recalling his experience on dealing with communal riots.
The SP supremo criticised the Centre for the growing divide among the rich and poor in the country.
"It is worrying to know that while as many as 1,200 people died of starvation in various parts of the country, the trend of the economy is such that the culture of luxury and outward show is being promoted. For this policies of the Union government is partly responsible," he said.
There are some parts of the country were poverty is so acute that women do not have an extra saree for themselves, he remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'