`Lack of inter-community trust resulting in communal riots`
Agra: Lack of trust between two communities is to be blamed for the communal riots that have taken place in Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yaday said on Sunday.
"They (riots) are the results of lack of trust between communities. This trust has to be restored so that amity prevails in society," Mulayam said at a book launch here.
"When I was the chief minister, I used to remain awake all night during such incidents to keep a strict watch on the communal situation...To keep it under control," he said recalling his experience on dealing with communal riots.
The SP supremo criticised the Centre for the growing divide among the rich and poor in the country.
"It is worrying to know that while as many as 1,200 people died of starvation in various parts of the country, the trend of the economy is such that the culture of luxury and outward show is being promoted. For this policies of the Union government is partly responsible," he said.
There are some parts of the country were poverty is so acute that women do not have an extra saree for themselves, he remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand