`Lack of inter-community trust resulting in communal riots`
Agra: Lack of trust between two communities is to be blamed for the communal riots that have taken place in Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yaday said on Sunday.
"They (riots) are the results of lack of trust between communities. This trust has to be restored so that amity prevails in society," Mulayam said at a book launch here.
"When I was the chief minister, I used to remain awake all night during such incidents to keep a strict watch on the communal situation...To keep it under control," he said recalling his experience on dealing with communal riots.
The SP supremo criticised the Centre for the growing divide among the rich and poor in the country.
"It is worrying to know that while as many as 1,200 people died of starvation in various parts of the country, the trend of the economy is such that the culture of luxury and outward show is being promoted. For this policies of the Union government is partly responsible," he said.
There are some parts of the country were poverty is so acute that women do not have an extra saree for themselves, he remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi