`Lack of inter-community trust resulting in communal riots`
Agra: Lack of trust between two communities is to be blamed for the communal riots that have taken place in Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yaday said on Sunday.
"They (riots) are the results of lack of trust between communities. This trust has to be restored so that amity prevails in society," Mulayam said at a book launch here.
"When I was the chief minister, I used to remain awake all night during such incidents to keep a strict watch on the communal situation...To keep it under control," he said recalling his experience on dealing with communal riots.
The SP supremo criticised the Centre for the growing divide among the rich and poor in the country.
"It is worrying to know that while as many as 1,200 people died of starvation in various parts of the country, the trend of the economy is such that the culture of luxury and outward show is being promoted. For this policies of the Union government is partly responsible," he said.
There are some parts of the country were poverty is so acute that women do not have an extra saree for themselves, he remarked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Shaharyar Khan hints at stepping down in August
- Ranji games at neutral venues, Duleep's zonal system scrapped
- Donald Trump slams Barack Obama for not mentioning Pearl Harbour attack
- Zee Media Exclusive: BJP will do better than 2014 in 2019 General Elections, says Rajnath Singh
- French prosecutor considering Qatar 2022 World Cup investigation