Lakhimpur case: Maya transfers DM, SDM
Lucknow: Taking a serious note of violent
clashes between Lekhpals (revenue officials) and lawyers in Lakhimpur Kheri last week which left two advocates dead, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati Friday transferred two senior
District Magistrate Rishikesh Yashod and SDM Hariram
were transfered. Yashod will be replaced by Abhishek Prakash,
an official release said.
The transfers have been made to ensure that the
magisterial inquiry ordered by the chief minister into the
incident is conducted impartially.
The chief minister has warned that stern action would be taken against all those found guilty in the inquiry.
The chief minister also announced an ex gratia of Rs five
lakh each for those who lost their lives and Rs one lakh each
to the seriously injured, it said, adding that Rs 50,000 each
would be provided to those with minor injuries.
Lawyers Pradip Dixit and Mukul Tewari were shot dead last Saturday allegedly by a group of Lekhpals or revenue officials during a clash in Lakhimpur Kheri.
Agitated over the killings, lawyers in Lakhimpur and Gola
had gone on the rampage damaging around 12 government vehicles
and ransacking the office of the District Magistrate.
The lawyers alleged that the Lekhpals resorted to
unprovoked firing which left two of their colleagues dead and
four others injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions