Lakhs of devotees take dip in Ganga on Baisakhi
Dehra Dun: In twin holy towns of Haridwar
and Rishikesh, lakhs of people from different states took a holy dip in the river Ganga on the occasion of Baisakhi.
More than one lakh people have so far taken a dip in
the river Ganga at various bathing ghats of Haridwar and their
number is expected to cross the mark of 2.5 lakh at the end of
the day, police said.
Elaborate security arrangements have been made by the
police and administration for the purpose.
People from Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh,
Rajasthan, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Chhatisgarh and
Jharkhand converged on the ghats and celebrated Baisakhi with
traditional fervour and gaiety.
Punjabi men and women attired in traditional dresses
were seen singing and dancing in groups at various places to
celebrate Baisakhi, the harvesting festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town