Large quantities of ‘synthetic milk’ seized from UP
Aligarh: Large quantities of synthetic milk and spurious edible oil have been seized in raids conducted during the past fortnight from Aligarh and the adjoining districts of Etah and Hathras, Food and Drug Authority said Wednesday.
Penalties totaling more than Rs 16 lakhs have been levied against persons involved in the sale of adulterated milk products and spurious edible oil during these raids carried out in the past two weeks, Food Security Officer of Aligarh Division J P Singh told a news agency.
A leading sweetmeat merchant with several outlets in this city is among those fined for selling adulterated milk products is, he added.
According to sources, these seizures ahead of Diwali festival are only "tip of the iceberg" as this region in the past has witnessed an increase in the manufacturing of "highly toxic" synthetic milk.
Last week, Chairman of Essential Commodities Corporation Haji Ikram Qureshi in a press conference here had stated that "85 per cent of the milk supply in the state contained synthetic milk".
FDA officials had seized more than two quintals of synthetic milk last week during a raid at village Badri. The milk had been manufactured with the help of highly toxic chemical paints.
According to official sources, those indulging in such illegal trades are rarely convicted as Uttar Pradesh is yet to set up Appellant Tribunals for deciding such cases.
Punishment in such crimes, therefore, suffers inordinate delays since these cases are worked out at the High Court level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why