Large quantities of ‘synthetic milk’ seized from UP
Aligarh: Large quantities of synthetic milk and spurious edible oil have been seized in raids conducted during the past fortnight from Aligarh and the adjoining districts of Etah and Hathras, Food and Drug Authority said Wednesday.
Penalties totaling more than Rs 16 lakhs have been levied against persons involved in the sale of adulterated milk products and spurious edible oil during these raids carried out in the past two weeks, Food Security Officer of Aligarh Division J P Singh told a news agency.
A leading sweetmeat merchant with several outlets in this city is among those fined for selling adulterated milk products is, he added.
According to sources, these seizures ahead of Diwali festival are only "tip of the iceberg" as this region in the past has witnessed an increase in the manufacturing of "highly toxic" synthetic milk.
Last week, Chairman of Essential Commodities Corporation Haji Ikram Qureshi in a press conference here had stated that "85 per cent of the milk supply in the state contained synthetic milk".
FDA officials had seized more than two quintals of synthetic milk last week during a raid at village Badri. The milk had been manufactured with the help of highly toxic chemical paints.
According to official sources, those indulging in such illegal trades are rarely convicted as Uttar Pradesh is yet to set up Appellant Tribunals for deciding such cases.
Punishment in such crimes, therefore, suffers inordinate delays since these cases are worked out at the High Court level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav told Mulayam Singh's brother Shivpal that he would float new party?
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- At 500 kilograms, is this 36-year-old the world's heaviest woman?
- Crisis in Samajwadi Party: 'Helicopter kya tumhare baap ka hai?' - Why Shivpal Yadav asked this to a man in audience