Large quantities of ‘synthetic milk’ seized from UP
Aligarh: Large quantities of synthetic milk and spurious edible oil have been seized in raids conducted during the past fortnight from Aligarh and the adjoining districts of Etah and Hathras, Food and Drug Authority said Wednesday.
Penalties totaling more than Rs 16 lakhs have been levied against persons involved in the sale of adulterated milk products and spurious edible oil during these raids carried out in the past two weeks, Food Security Officer of Aligarh Division J P Singh told a news agency.
A leading sweetmeat merchant with several outlets in this city is among those fined for selling adulterated milk products is, he added.
According to sources, these seizures ahead of Diwali festival are only "tip of the iceberg" as this region in the past has witnessed an increase in the manufacturing of "highly toxic" synthetic milk.
Last week, Chairman of Essential Commodities Corporation Haji Ikram Qureshi in a press conference here had stated that "85 per cent of the milk supply in the state contained synthetic milk".
FDA officials had seized more than two quintals of synthetic milk last week during a raid at village Badri. The milk had been manufactured with the help of highly toxic chemical paints.
According to official sources, those indulging in such illegal trades are rarely convicted as Uttar Pradesh is yet to set up Appellant Tribunals for deciding such cases.
Punishment in such crimes, therefore, suffers inordinate delays since these cases are worked out at the High Court level.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi