Lawyers fail to `gherao` Taj Mahal
Agra: An attempt by lawyers of Agra and nearby districts to lay siege to the Taj Mahal Monday in support of their demand for a bench of the Uttar Pradesh High Court was foiled by police.
Police sealed all approach roads to the 17th century monument, allowing only tourists. A group of lawyers tried to forcibly enter the Taj through the western gate but were pushed back.
A few sneaked into the Taj and photographed themselves with a banner, a lawyer said, but the police denied the claim.
Another group reached Mehtab Bagh, at the rear of the Taj, and raised slogans and were chased away.
Political parties in Agra support the demand to open a bench of the high court in Agra.
Lawyer leaders said they plan to march to the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory