Lawyers fail to `gherao` Taj Mahal
Agra: An attempt by lawyers of Agra and nearby districts to lay siege to the Taj Mahal Monday in support of their demand for a bench of the Uttar Pradesh High Court was foiled by police.
Police sealed all approach roads to the 17th century monument, allowing only tourists. A group of lawyers tried to forcibly enter the Taj through the western gate but were pushed back.
A few sneaked into the Taj and photographed themselves with a banner, a lawyer said, but the police denied the claim.
Another group reached Mehtab Bagh, at the rear of the Taj, and raised slogans and were chased away.
Political parties in Agra support the demand to open a bench of the high court in Agra.
Lawyer leaders said they plan to march to the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?