Lawyers fail to `gherao` Taj Mahal
Agra: An attempt by lawyers of Agra and nearby districts to lay siege to the Taj Mahal Monday in support of their demand for a bench of the Uttar Pradesh High Court was foiled by police.
Police sealed all approach roads to the 17th century monument, allowing only tourists. A group of lawyers tried to forcibly enter the Taj through the western gate but were pushed back.
A few sneaked into the Taj and photographed themselves with a banner, a lawyer said, but the police denied the claim.
Another group reached Mehtab Bagh, at the rear of the Taj, and raised slogans and were chased away.
Political parties in Agra support the demand to open a bench of the high court in Agra.
Lawyer leaders said they plan to march to the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Watch: This guy convinces girls to get pictures clicked with him – know how