Lawyers fail to `gherao` Taj Mahal
Agra: An attempt by lawyers of Agra and nearby districts to lay siege to the Taj Mahal Monday in support of their demand for a bench of the Uttar Pradesh High Court was foiled by police.
Police sealed all approach roads to the 17th century monument, allowing only tourists. A group of lawyers tried to forcibly enter the Taj through the western gate but were pushed back.
A few sneaked into the Taj and photographed themselves with a banner, a lawyer said, but the police denied the claim.
Another group reached Mehtab Bagh, at the rear of the Taj, and raised slogans and were chased away.
Political parties in Agra support the demand to open a bench of the high court in Agra.
Lawyer leaders said they plan to march to the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Christian group claims that the world will be 'annihilated' today!