Lawyers on rampage in Allahabad after death of colleague
Allahabad: Enraged over the death of a fellow lawyer in a road accident here today, advocates went on a rampage, indulging in stone pelting, setting a state roadways bus on fire and vandalising a police station.
The incident took place late Wednesday evening in the Civil Lines police station area when an advocate, while returning home from the court on his motorcycle, got hit from behind by a car and died on the spot, police said.
As the news spread, a number of advocates arrived at the site of the mishap where they started pelting motorists with stones, blocking traffic during the busy hour.
By the time a police party could reach the spot, they had set UP Road Transport Corporation bus on fire.
Later, while the advocates had assembled at the police station for lodging an FIR, tempers flared up again and they began shouting slogans and vandalising furniture before being pacified by the policemen on duty.
A case was registered in connection with the accident and a search was on for the vehicle which had run over the lawyer, police said, adding that no case had been registered against the agitating lawyers so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends