Lawyers on rampage in Allahabad after death of colleague
Allahabad: Enraged over the death of a fellow lawyer in a road accident here today, advocates went on a rampage, indulging in stone pelting, setting a state roadways bus on fire and vandalising a police station.
The incident took place late Wednesday evening in the Civil Lines police station area when an advocate, while returning home from the court on his motorcycle, got hit from behind by a car and died on the spot, police said.
As the news spread, a number of advocates arrived at the site of the mishap where they started pelting motorists with stones, blocking traffic during the busy hour.
By the time a police party could reach the spot, they had set UP Road Transport Corporation bus on fire.
Later, while the advocates had assembled at the police station for lodging an FIR, tempers flared up again and they began shouting slogans and vandalising furniture before being pacified by the policemen on duty.
A case was registered in connection with the accident and a search was on for the vehicle which had run over the lawyer, police said, adding that no case had been registered against the agitating lawyers so far.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan