Lawyers protest enters third day
Kanpur: For the third day in a row, lawyers
here observed a strike and carried out a peace march on Saturday,
demanding justice for their deceased colleague Vinay Kumar
Singh who allegedly committed suicide.
Work at the city courts remained stalled for the third
consecutive day as around 500 lawyers carried out the march
and paid tribute to the deceased lawyer, who had allegedly
committed suicide on January 19 after his wife Uma, a primary
school teacher in Farrukhabad, was not transferred despite his
repeated plea to the authorities.
In his suicide note, Singh had blamed Anant Kumar Mishra,
state Health Minister and BSP MLA from Farrukhabad, for not
paying heed to his request.
"Since state Health Minister Anant Mishra is a lawyer and
a member of Kanpur Bar Association, we have decided to suspend
him from his membership. He does not have any right to
continue as its member," said Ajit Shukla, Chairperson of
Kanpur Bar Association.
Members of the Bar Association have met the district
officials and have demanded an immediate inquiry in the
circumstances that led to the suspension of Singh`s wife from
her service, Shukla said.
Meanwhile, political leaders of various parties visited
the family of the deceased and expressed their condolence.
"There is so much corruption around that the common man`s
faith from the system is slowly depleting. It`s a serious
matter as a Minster is involved. We will ensure that this
matter is taken up in the Assembly so that the guilty is
punished and justice is delivered to the family," UP BJP
chief Surya Pratap Shahi said.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- 'Mines Act amendments may spur M&As in cement, steel sectors'
- Hardik Patel offers to give an undertaking for bail, not to do anything that affect law
- Pakistani actors Adnan Siddiqui, Sajal Aly set to debut in Bollywood film!
- Australia lead India as South Africa slip to 6th in ICC Test rankings
- Kerala law student rape and murder: Three detained by police