Lawyers protest enters third day
Kanpur: For the third day in a row, lawyers
here observed a strike and carried out a peace march on Saturday,
demanding justice for their deceased colleague Vinay Kumar
Singh who allegedly committed suicide.
Work at the city courts remained stalled for the third
consecutive day as around 500 lawyers carried out the march
and paid tribute to the deceased lawyer, who had allegedly
committed suicide on January 19 after his wife Uma, a primary
school teacher in Farrukhabad, was not transferred despite his
repeated plea to the authorities.
In his suicide note, Singh had blamed Anant Kumar Mishra,
state Health Minister and BSP MLA from Farrukhabad, for not
paying heed to his request.
"Since state Health Minister Anant Mishra is a lawyer and
a member of Kanpur Bar Association, we have decided to suspend
him from his membership. He does not have any right to
continue as its member," said Ajit Shukla, Chairperson of
Kanpur Bar Association.
Members of the Bar Association have met the district
officials and have demanded an immediate inquiry in the
circumstances that led to the suspension of Singh`s wife from
her service, Shukla said.
Meanwhile, political leaders of various parties visited
the family of the deceased and expressed their condolence.
"There is so much corruption around that the common man`s
faith from the system is slowly depleting. It`s a serious
matter as a Minster is involved. We will ensure that this
matter is taken up in the Assembly so that the guilty is
punished and justice is delivered to the family," UP BJP
chief Surya Pratap Shahi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Amnesty row: Karnataka Home Minister G Parameshwara takes U-turn, denies giving clean-chit
- Volkswagen cuts 28,000 workers' hours over supply woes
- 1% TCS on cash buy not to apply on embassies, UN bodies, Govt depts
- Rio Olympics: Pele congratulates Brazil on football gold
- Handful of vested interests inciting trouble in Kashmir: J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti