Lawyers protest govt failure to set up HC bench in Agra
Agra: Lawyers in the city today protested
Centre`s failure to set up a bench of the Allahabad High Court
The lawyers jammed roads bringing traffic to a halt and
burnt an effigy of Law Minister Veerappa Moily.
They demanded setting up of a bench of Allahabad High
Court here as recommended by Jaswant Singh Commission.
"The Jaswant Singh Commission which had submitted its
report in 1986 had already recommended the setting up of a
bench of the Allahabad High Court for western UP at Agra,"
Arun Solanki, Secretary of the Action Committee for Lawyers
"But the Union Government has been sitting on the report
and has not even placed it on the floor of Parliament. The
report has not been rejected either," he added.
Veerappa Moily had earlier said that various states had
sent incomplete proposals for setting up Benches of High
"While requests have been received from some state
governments for creation of Benches of the High Courts away
from the principal seat, no complete proposal has been
received for establishment of a Bench from any state
government," he had said on December 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- ‘Wanted’ duo Salman Khan – Prabhudheva to team up again?
- NASA's Viking mission data to unfold Mars' mystery
- Kolkata: Boy found killed after party at Amit Chaudhuri's house, author denies knowing him
- 1 killed, dozen hurt in building collapse after cylinder blast
- 'Star Wars Episode VIII' officially wraps production