Lawyers` strike stalls court proceedings in western UP
Muzaffarnagar: Court proceedings in
western Uttar Pradesh came to a standstill Monday after advocates here went on a strike in protest against last month`s lathicharge by police on a group of lawyers in
President of the District Bar Association Promode
Tyagi, who was among the protesters, said that they were
seeking action into the incident.
Meanwhile, the Uttar Pradesh Bar Council yesterday called
for a one-day boycott of court proceedings.
Judicial work in Muzaffarnagar, Meerut, Saharanpur,
Bullandshar and Moradabad in Uttar Pradesh was adversely
affected as a result of the strike.
In Muzaffarnagar, trial of high profile cases involving
BSP MP Kadir Rana, Tennis star Sania Mirza and the Revati
murder case were also deferred due to the strike.
Last month, lawyers, marching towards the Uttar Pradesh
Chief Minister`s residence to submit a memorandum of their
demands, clashed with the police leading to brick batting and
lathicharge in Hazratganj area in Lucknow.
The lawyers were demanding that a provision of Rs 100
crore should be made for their welfare in the state budget.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA