Laxmikant Bajpai is new UP BJP president
Lucknow: In a major revamp after the party`s
poor show in the recent assembly polls, BJP today appointed
vice-president of state unit Laxmikant Bajpai as the new chief
of Uttar Pradesh unit replacing Surya Pratap Shahi.
BJP national president Nitin Gadkari has accepted the
resignation of Shahi and appointed Bajpai as the new state
president in his place, party spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak
Shahi has been appointed as the special invited member in
the national executive of the party, he said.
60-year-old Bajpai, a former minister and sitting MLA
from Meerut, will be the 11th state president of the party.
An ayurveda practitioner, Bajpai started working for
Jansangh at the age of 14 in 1964. He also led a number of
successful agitation as a student leader.
Since 1977, Bajpai has held various posts in the party
at district, city and state level. A four-time MLA Bajpai was
the party`s chief whip in the Vidhan Sabha twice.
State vice-president Mahendra Singh has been named as
party candidate for the biennial election of UP Legislative
BJP came third in the Uttar Pradesh polls with 47 seats
(four less than the 2007 results) in the 403-member Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report