Laxmikant Bajpai is new UP BJP president
Lucknow: In a major revamp after the party`s
poor show in the recent assembly polls, BJP today appointed
vice-president of state unit Laxmikant Bajpai as the new chief
of Uttar Pradesh unit replacing Surya Pratap Shahi.
BJP national president Nitin Gadkari has accepted the
resignation of Shahi and appointed Bajpai as the new state
president in his place, party spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak
Shahi has been appointed as the special invited member in
the national executive of the party, he said.
60-year-old Bajpai, a former minister and sitting MLA
from Meerut, will be the 11th state president of the party.
An ayurveda practitioner, Bajpai started working for
Jansangh at the age of 14 in 1964. He also led a number of
successful agitation as a student leader.
Since 1977, Bajpai has held various posts in the party
at district, city and state level. A four-time MLA Bajpai was
the party`s chief whip in the Vidhan Sabha twice.
State vice-president Mahendra Singh has been named as
party candidate for the biennial election of UP Legislative
BJP came third in the Uttar Pradesh polls with 47 seats
(four less than the 2007 results) in the 403-member Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list