Leadership tussle in `Gulabi gang`
Banda: A leadership tussle erupted today in `Gulabi gang`, an organistaion which shot into limelight for taking up the cudgels against women atrocities, with a faction claiming that Sampat Pal was no longer its head.
"Suman Singh, commander of Mahoba unit has been appointed the working chief of the group", national convenor of Gulabi gang Jaiprakash Shivhare said here.
Pal however asserted her authority saying she still headed the organisation.
The leader when contacted over phone feigned ignorance of any such development.
"I am the chief of Gulabi gang and would return to Banda soon to prove it", she said today.
As to the reason for her removal, Shivhare said that there were complaints about Pal that she was allegedly "taking money for resolving the problems of poor and suffering women and so she has been removed by Mahoba unit commander Suman Singh who has been appointed as working president."
Countering the allegations, Pal said Singh is accused of throwing out her daughter-in-law. She had joined the gang in 2007.
"In 2012 assembly polls when I was given the ticket from Manikpur by Congress, she was also vying for it (ticket) and ever since then she had a grouse against me," Pal alleged.
In 2006 to raise voice against women atrocities, Pal had founded Gulabi gang which is spread in Banda, Mahoba, Chitrakot, Fatehpur, Farrukhabad, Kanpur, Allahabad, Etawah and Bijnore and has about three lakh women as its members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says