Leopard killed in tiger attack
Lakhimpur Kheri (Uttar Pradesh): A nine-year-old male leopard was killed in an attack by a tiger in Katarniaghat Wildlife Sanctuary (KWS) under the Dudhwa Tiger Reserve.
The mutilated carcass of the leopard, found by the KWS officials, had been sent for autopsy, Shailesh Prasad, Field Director, Dudhwa Tiger Reserve, said on Saturday.
The tiger attacked the leopard on Friday night near Khaira village in Motipur range, he said.
Spotting the leopard in its territory, the tiger attacked the small cat and broke its neck, Prasad said.
Leopards often take shelter on fringes of the forest killing animals like dogs and generally avoid encounters with tigers, say wildlife officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Srinagar encounter: Two suspected cop killers gunned down as search-op against militants continues
- Van Gaal sacked by United, Mourinho poised to step in
- Iraq justice ministry announces execution of 22 convicts
- UK grants asylum to Maldives' ex-president Mohamed Nasheed
- North Korean envoy rejects Trump overture to meet leader