Leopard`s carcass found in Uttar Pradesh forest
Lakhimpur Kheri: In a suspected case of poaching, a young leopard`s carcass was recovered from a forest area here, officials said on Monday.
The carcass of a three-year-old male leopard was recovered late Sunday evening from Bira forest range, some 200 km from Lucknow.
The exact cause of the leopard`s death is yet to be ascertained, the forest officials said but did not rule out the involvement of poachers as the feline`s body was found entangled in a metallic wire.
"The leopard`s body was found hanging from a tree and was entangled in a metallic wire," Divisional Forest Officer (DFO) RC Jha told reporters here.
"We have initiated an enquiry into the case. The leopard`s body has been sent for autopsy," he added.
Killing a leopard is a serious offence under the Indian Wildlife Act, punishable with three to seven years` rigorous imprisonment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal