Life term to 16 cops in fake encounter case
Lucknow: A CBI court in Ghaziabad on Thursday
sentenced 16 policemen to life imprisonment and one to seven
years in jail in the fake encounter of alleged terrorist
Jaivinder Singh alias Jasana of Amritsar in the jungles of
Kashiwala in Bijnore district in 1992.
Pronouncing the judgement the court also slapped a fine
of Rs 5000 on each of the convicts, Home department sources
Though the accomplice of the alleged terrorist had
managed to escape, an AK-56 rifle and 14 cartridges and two
magazines had been recovered from his possession, they said.
Though the case was being investigated earlier by
the CB-CID, it was handed over to the CBI on March 24, 1993
which on finding the encounter as fake had filed a case
against the policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- 'Second Hand Husband' review: Fails to impress