Life term to 16 cops in fake encounter case
Lucknow: A CBI court in Ghaziabad on Thursday
sentenced 16 policemen to life imprisonment and one to seven
years in jail in the fake encounter of alleged terrorist
Jaivinder Singh alias Jasana of Amritsar in the jungles of
Kashiwala in Bijnore district in 1992.
Pronouncing the judgement the court also slapped a fine
of Rs 5000 on each of the convicts, Home department sources
Though the accomplice of the alleged terrorist had
managed to escape, an AK-56 rifle and 14 cartridges and two
magazines had been recovered from his possession, they said.
Though the case was being investigated earlier by
the CB-CID, it was handed over to the CBI on March 24, 1993
which on finding the encounter as fake had filed a case
against the policemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble