Lightning kills nine in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Even as pleasant weather in the last two days brought some respite for residents of Uttar Pradesh, lightning which accompanied the rains killed at least nine people in different parts of the state till late Friday, officials said.
Officials told a news agency that of the nine killed, one was a woman. Nine others have been seriously injured in the lightning strikes.
The deaths occured in Chandauli (3), Ghazipur (2), Sambhal (1) and Meerut (3). Three people were seriously injured as lightning hit them late night at Ghazipur, officials said.
Uttar Pradesh has witnessed a sudden change of weather in the last two days. Other than a brief spell of rain, many parts of the state were hit by dust storms.
The state government has decided to give ex-gratia payment to the kin of the dead from the natural calamity fund as per norms, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA