Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour
Lucknow: Amidst ecstatic shouts of "Bam Bam Bhole" and vedic chanting, the Uttar Pradesh capital Wednesday celebrated Mahashivratri, marking the marriage of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati, with fervour and prayers.
A large number of devotees thronged temples across the city to offer milk, honey, sandalwood paste and leaves of wood apple to shivlings (symbolic idols of Lord Shiva).
"It is said that Shiva showers all his blessings on people who remember him on this day with an honest and true heart," said Somnath Dwivedi, head priest of the Shiva Temple on Gokhale Marg here.
Devotees started lining up at the Mankameshwar Temple in Daliganj and the Buddhshwar Temple on Mohan Road since 5 am in the morning for performing rituals and ceremonies to appease Lord Shiva, considered the supreme god of Hindus.
`Shiv baraats` (marriage processions of Lord Shiva) were also taken out in different parts of the state. Wearing colourful clothes and `ghungroos`, devotees attended the festivities amidst beating of drums and blowing of conch shells.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump for 'selling fear'; endorses Hillary Clinton for US presidency
- India vs West Indies, 2nd Test: Virat Kohli and co get into Jamaican groove with heavy work-out
- Air India passengers to have hassle-free travel; 2 check-in counters opened at Delhi Metro station
- Abu Jundal convicted in 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case; court accepts there was a conspiracy to eliminate Modi, Togadia
- Easy tips on how to keep your lipstick stay longer! Watch video