Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour
Lucknow: Amidst ecstatic shouts of "Bam Bam Bhole" and vedic chanting, the Uttar Pradesh capital Wednesday celebrated Mahashivratri, marking the marriage of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati, with fervour and prayers.
A large number of devotees thronged temples across the city to offer milk, honey, sandalwood paste and leaves of wood apple to shivlings (symbolic idols of Lord Shiva).
"It is said that Shiva showers all his blessings on people who remember him on this day with an honest and true heart," said Somnath Dwivedi, head priest of the Shiva Temple on Gokhale Marg here.
Devotees started lining up at the Mankameshwar Temple in Daliganj and the Buddhshwar Temple on Mohan Road since 5 am in the morning for performing rituals and ceremonies to appease Lord Shiva, considered the supreme god of Hindus.
`Shiv baraats` (marriage processions of Lord Shiva) were also taken out in different parts of the state. Wearing colourful clothes and `ghungroos`, devotees attended the festivities amidst beating of drums and blowing of conch shells.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'El Chapo' appeals extradition to US
- Rahul to lead 'Mashal Juloos' in protest against power cuts, water crisis in Delhi
- CBSE Class Xth Results 2016 to be declared today at 2 pm; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- WATCH: MIRACLE! This fielder did the unthinkable during GL vs SRH Qualifier 2
- Marcus Rashford nets place in record books as England beat Australia 2-1