Lucknow gang-rape case: Every crime can`t be checked in UP, says Mulayam Singh Yadav
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Amidst growing criticism over deteriorating law and order in Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav on Friday said that the state government should not be expected to keep a check on each and every crime.
When asked about gang-rape and murder of a 30-year-old woman in Lucknow`s Mohanlalganj area, Mulayam gave a bizarre statement, saying: "The population of Uttar Pradesh is 21 crore. The least number of rapes take place in Uttar Pradesh. Every crime cannot be checked in the state. The police take action against the criminals if such cases take place".
Rather than pushing the authorities to nail the accused, Samajwadi Party leaders kept on defending the party`s stand.
SP leader Naresh Agarwal said: "What netaji (Mulayam) has said that is the ground reality. In the Lucknow case, the woman had left with a known person but then the attack happened. The accused have been identified. Strict action will be taken against them."
"It`s not only about rapes, there are many more crimes and no government can stop all of it at once. Ever since independence, there has been no state where crimes don`t happen, irrespective of the party which rules the state. That is why we talk about speedy trail, and then it can be stopped to some extent," he added.
He also accused the media of being biased against the Uttar Pradesh government while reporting crimes.
"The media seems to have developed an extraordinary affection for UP. It blows up any crime case in the state. The truth is that such crimes are taking place in other states too. Similar incident took place in Bangalore a day ago. But media don`t pick up those cases with the same zeal."
Two days after the gang-rape and brutal murder of the young woman, the Lucknow Police, Saturday, does not seem to be making any headway in the case.
Four special teams formed to apprehend the assailants have found no success despite mounting anger against the state police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued