Lucknow rape, murder case: Key accused detained by UP police
Zee Media Bureau
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh police has detained the key accused, who was working as a security guard working at the SGPGI, for the horrific rape and murder of the 32 year-old woman in Mohanlalganj area of the state, as per news reports on Sunday.
Both the key accused and the victim were employed in Sanjay Gandhi Post-graduate Medical Institute (SGPGI) and knew each other.
The victim reportedly worked as the lab assistant in the premier institute. A mother of two children, her husband died few years earlier after prolonged illness, news reports stated.
The brutal crime took place last week when the victim left with the accused and her badly mutilated body was later found in the outskirts of the state capital.
Her body bore injury marks including stab wounds and and a blunt object was also inserted into her. The post-mortem report reportedly confirmed her cause of death as hemorrhage.
The horrific crime took place even as the area was under tight security and few km away from the venue visited by former US president Bill Clinton.
A station house officer and another policemen was suspended by the state government shortly after the incident.
Meanwhile, ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav stirred controversy after he said that the state government cannot check “every crime in the state.”
"The population of Uttar Pradesh is 21 crore. The least number of rapes take place in Uttar Pradesh. Every crime cannot be checked in the state. The police take action against the criminals if such cases take place," he said.
Senior SP leader Naresh Yadav had also said that the issue was being blown out of proportion by media.
"I do not know why the media loves UP so much. We can also say such an incident has taken place in Bangalore, Rajasthan and New Delhi...law and order is very good in UP," he reportedly told television channels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what