Lucknow school is world`s `largest`
Lucknow: Starting from five students and a Rs 300 loan, a Lucknow school has travelled a long way to become the school with the most number of pupils in the world, according to the Guinness Book of Records.
The 57th and 2013 edition of the book says the City Montessori School (CMS) in Lucknow had a record enrolment of 39,437 pupils on August 09, 2010, for the 2010-11 academic year.
School authorities told a news agency that the number of pupils now stood at 45,000-plus.
The entry in the Guinness, which documents the world`s most unique and selective records, has enthused the students and staff.
"We are very happy that not only our size but also our philosophy of world peace is being recognised at a global level," school founder Jagdish Gandhi told a news agency.
Tanmay Tiwari, a Class 12 student on one of the 20 branches the school operates in the city, is equally ecstatic.
He said studying in one of the school campuses was an "enriching experience" which "mattered a lot in the transition" in his persona.
Principal Vera Hazela says her association with the school has been a "great one".
Talking of the exposure the school gives to its students, she said the school holds 32 educational international events every year.
School spokesperson Rishi Khann said the management, staff and students were overjoyed over the Guinness recognition.
The school was founded in 1959 by Jagdish Gandhi and his wife Bharti Gandhi in rented premises with just five students and a borrowed capital of Rs 300.
The school was also awarded the prestigious UNESCO Prize for Peace Education in 2002, becoming the only school worldwide ever to receive this honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh