Lucknow school is world`s `largest`
Lucknow: Starting from five students and a Rs 300 loan, a Lucknow school has travelled a long way to become the school with the most number of pupils in the world, according to the Guinness Book of Records.
The 57th and 2013 edition of the book says the City Montessori School (CMS) in Lucknow had a record enrolment of 39,437 pupils on August 09, 2010, for the 2010-11 academic year.
School authorities told a news agency that the number of pupils now stood at 45,000-plus.
The entry in the Guinness, which documents the world`s most unique and selective records, has enthused the students and staff.
"We are very happy that not only our size but also our philosophy of world peace is being recognised at a global level," school founder Jagdish Gandhi told a news agency.
Tanmay Tiwari, a Class 12 student on one of the 20 branches the school operates in the city, is equally ecstatic.
He said studying in one of the school campuses was an "enriching experience" which "mattered a lot in the transition" in his persona.
Principal Vera Hazela says her association with the school has been a "great one".
Talking of the exposure the school gives to its students, she said the school holds 32 educational international events every year.
School spokesperson Rishi Khann said the management, staff and students were overjoyed over the Guinness recognition.
The school was founded in 1959 by Jagdish Gandhi and his wife Bharti Gandhi in rented premises with just five students and a borrowed capital of Rs 300.
The school was also awarded the prestigious UNESCO Prize for Peace Education in 2002, becoming the only school worldwide ever to receive this honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony