Lucknow school is world`s `largest`
Lucknow: Starting from five students and a Rs 300 loan, a Lucknow school has travelled a long way to become the school with the most number of pupils in the world, according to the Guinness Book of Records.
The 57th and 2013 edition of the book says the City Montessori School (CMS) in Lucknow had a record enrolment of 39,437 pupils on August 09, 2010, for the 2010-11 academic year.
School authorities told a news agency that the number of pupils now stood at 45,000-plus.
The entry in the Guinness, which documents the world`s most unique and selective records, has enthused the students and staff.
"We are very happy that not only our size but also our philosophy of world peace is being recognised at a global level," school founder Jagdish Gandhi told a news agency.
Tanmay Tiwari, a Class 12 student on one of the 20 branches the school operates in the city, is equally ecstatic.
He said studying in one of the school campuses was an "enriching experience" which "mattered a lot in the transition" in his persona.
Principal Vera Hazela says her association with the school has been a "great one".
Talking of the exposure the school gives to its students, she said the school holds 32 educational international events every year.
School spokesperson Rishi Khann said the management, staff and students were overjoyed over the Guinness recognition.
The school was founded in 1959 by Jagdish Gandhi and his wife Bharti Gandhi in rented premises with just five students and a borrowed capital of Rs 300.
The school was also awarded the prestigious UNESCO Prize for Peace Education in 2002, becoming the only school worldwide ever to receive this honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says