Madhumita Shukla murder: Missing accused arrested
Gorakhpur: An accused in poetess Madhumita Shukla murder case, who went missing after the Uttarakhand High Court awarded him life imprisonment, was arrested here on Tuesday, police said.
Prakash Chandra Pandey was arrested from his Shahpur residence, they said.
Pandey was earlier let off by the trial court for want of evidence but the Uttarakhand High Court on July 16 pronounced him guilty and sentenced him to life imprisonment, while upholding the life sentence of key accused Amarmani Tripathi, his wife and two others.
Accepting the plea of CBI, which demanded life sentence for Pandey alias Pappu, the court had directed the police to take him into custody immediately but he was untraceable.
Amarmani, his wife Madhumani and two others ? Rohit Chaturvedi and Santosh Kumar Rai were convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment by a Dehradun court in 2007 for hatching a conspiracy and killing Shukla, who was shot dead in Lucknow on May 9, 2003.
Amarmani has been an SP MLA and minister during the course of his trial before he was convicted in 2007. He was with the BSP and a UP minister when Madhumita was killed.
After thorough investigation, CBI filed a charge sheet against Amarmani, Rohit, Santosh, Pandey, Yagya Narain Dixit and Madhumani on December 19, 2003.
The trial of the case was later transferred out of Uttar Pradesh to Uttarakhand following a Supreme Court order.
After a trial that spanned more than 8 months, the district and sessions judge at Dehradun on October 24, 2007, convicted Amarmani, Madhumani, Santosh and Rohit and sentenced them to undergo life imprisonment.
The court had acquitted Pandey, who had visited the house of Madhumita along with Santosh on May 9, 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon