Magisterial probe in building collapse, 3 arrested
Ghaziabad: A contractor and two
supervisors have been arrested while a manhunt has been
launched for the builders of an under-construction building
that collapsed in Shalimar Garden here, killing two labourers
and injuring 13.
With questions being raised on whether the
construction was legal, a magisterial probe was on Sunday ordered
which will submit its report within a week. District
Magistrate Shashi Bhushan Lal has ordered the arrest of
builder Kranti Tiwari and her two sons.
Building contractor Kishan Chand and his two
supervisors were arrested last night and raids were on in
Delhi and Ghaziabad to arrest the builders, SSP Raghubir Lal
said, adding a criminal case has been registered in Sahibabd
A ex-gratia of Rs lakh has been announced for the
family of each of the deceased and Rs 25,0000 for the injured.
About 28 persons, mostly labourers were Bihar and UP,
were rescued from the debris by a team of National Disaster
Relief Force from Noida along with Air Force personnel brought
in from the Hindon Air Force Station.
The under-construction four-storey building collapsed
at 5 pm yesterday. All the dead and injured are construction
workers and their kin. Police said an ailing child belonging
to one of the labourers died today and it was not related to
the building collapse.
The DM said said the building plan will be checked to
see whether it was being constructed according to rules.
"If it is found that the construction plan has been
overlooked, action will be taken against all those involved,"
His comments came amid allegations that the building
was originally planned to be a two-storey structure but later
it was raised to four storeys.
The DM said use of inferior quality construction
material may have also caused the collapse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray