Magisterial probe ordered into Faizabad violence
Faizabad: The district administration on Wednesday ordered a magisterial inquiry into the communal violence that broke out in the district on October 24 during immersion of idols of Goddess Durga.
Additional District Magistrate JP Tiwari will conduct the enquiry into the incidents of violence and arson that forced the administration to clamp curfew in the affected areas, District Magistrate Deepak Agrawal said.
The police have also arrested a former chairman of Bhadarsa town area for his alleged involvement in provoking violence, SP (City) SS Baghel said.
Meanwhile, the district administration today disbursed interim compensation of Rs 41 Lakh to 99 victims of violence who lost their shops and business establishment in the violence and arson.
The relief was provided after the administration finished its work of accessing the damages, according to which the total value of loss has reached up to Rs 7 crore, a statement issued by DM office said.
A large number of shops were gutted in communal violence that broke out during a procession carrying idol of Goddess Durga for immersion.
The situation had prompted the administration to put curfew in force in the affected areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit