Magistrate booked for assaulting railway employee in Lucknow
Lucknow: A sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) in Uttar Pradesh was booked Thursday for assaulting a level-crossing gateman who did not let him cross the tracks while a train was approaching, an official said.
Shyam Charan, posted in Kunda town of Pratapgarh district, has been accused of assaulting gateman Ramesh Chandra Meena Tuesday at Mawai railway crossing under the jurisdiction of Railway Protection Force (RPF), Unchahar (Rae Bareli).
"The SDM has been booked under the Railways Act section 145 (committing nuisance, indecency or using abusive language or interfering with any amenity provided by the railway administration) and section 146 (obstructing railway servant in his duties)," RPF inspector R.C. Joshi told reporters Thursday in Unchahar, some 90 km from Lucknow.
"The case against the SDM has been registered on the basis of a preliminary enquiry conducted by us," he added.
Another enquiry into the incident has been ordered by the Pratapgarh district magistrate. "Let the enquiry be completed. Necessary action would be taken accordingly," District Magistrate CS Verma told reporters Wednesday.
Meena told reporters: "Hurling abuses at me, the SDM directed me to open the gate...I replied that opening the gate would amount to violation of safety norms and that he should wait till the Kanpur-Allahabad passenger train passes by."
"Later, the SDM got down from his car and slapped me. He then dragged me by my collar and directed me to open the gate. When I refused again, he started punching and kicking me and I fell on the ground," Meena said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city