Magistrate booked for assaulting railway employee in Lucknow
Lucknow: A sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) in Uttar Pradesh was booked Thursday for assaulting a level-crossing gateman who did not let him cross the tracks while a train was approaching, an official said.
Shyam Charan, posted in Kunda town of Pratapgarh district, has been accused of assaulting gateman Ramesh Chandra Meena Tuesday at Mawai railway crossing under the jurisdiction of Railway Protection Force (RPF), Unchahar (Rae Bareli).
"The SDM has been booked under the Railways Act section 145 (committing nuisance, indecency or using abusive language or interfering with any amenity provided by the railway administration) and section 146 (obstructing railway servant in his duties)," RPF inspector R.C. Joshi told reporters Thursday in Unchahar, some 90 km from Lucknow.
"The case against the SDM has been registered on the basis of a preliminary enquiry conducted by us," he added.
Another enquiry into the incident has been ordered by the Pratapgarh district magistrate. "Let the enquiry be completed. Necessary action would be taken accordingly," District Magistrate CS Verma told reporters Wednesday.
Meena told reporters: "Hurling abuses at me, the SDM directed me to open the gate...I replied that opening the gate would amount to violation of safety norms and that he should wait till the Kanpur-Allahabad passenger train passes by."
"Later, the SDM got down from his car and slapped me. He then dragged me by my collar and directed me to open the gate. When I refused again, he started punching and kicking me and I fell on the ground," Meena said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state