Maha Kumbh: Elaborate arrangements for 3rd, last `Shahi Snan`
Allahabad: Elaborate arrangements have been put in place by the administration and the Railways for the third and last `Shahi Snan` of the Maha Kumbh here on Friday in the wake of the stampede at railway station here.
As a gesture of condolence `akharas` have decided to keep their bathing processions a low-key affair.
"We have been assured by the Railways that it will be running more than 70 special trains, other than the regular ones, in the next three days to ensure safe return journey of pilgrims coming for a holy dip in Sangam here on Basant Panchami tomorrow," said Devesh Chaturvedi, the Divisional Commissioner of Allahabad.
Chaturvedi is also the nodal officer for the Kumbh Mela.
"Besides, 1,500 buses in addition to the routine ones will be plied by the Uttar Pradesh Roadways. People can catch from seven bus terminuses, five of which are temporary ones set up especially for Kumbh," Chaturvedi said.
"Entry of heavy vehicles into the city has been banned since this morning and the restrictions will remain in place till the evening of February 16," he said.
"The crowd expected tomorrow is likely to be significantly lower than what was witnessed on Mauni Amavasya on Sunday. However, we are taking no chances and making all efforts to ensure that no mishap takes place.”
"Our main focus is on preventing a large crowd gathering at any particular point when pilgrims begin their return journey," Divisional Commissioner of Allahabad Devesh Chaturvedi said.
Chaturvedi, who had held a meeting with officials of the district administration, the Kumbh Mela administration and the Railways on Wednesday, said "a decision has been taken to utilise parks and large buildings in the vicinity of stations as temporary waiting rooms for passengers where facilities like drinking water, beverages and snacks would be made available".
He added that two senior IPS officers, one of IG rank and the other of DIG rank, have been "especially deployed by the state government to oversee security arrangements during the Basant Panchmi Shahi Snan".
Meanwhile, the Akhil Bharatiya Akhara Parishad has decided to "take out Shahi Snan processions without the usual fanfare", the secretary general of the Parishad Hari Giri said in a statement.
He said a decision to this effect was "taken at a meeting of the Akhara Parishad which was attended by representatives of all the 13 akharas".
37 people were killed in the stampede, which took place at the Allahabad Junction on Sunday, February 10 on the auspicious occasion of `Mauni Amavasya`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly