Maha Kumbh: Shankaracharya leaves Allahabad after tiff
Allahabad: Unresolved differences over land allotment between the administration and the pontiffs of the four seats (peeths) established by Adi Sankaracharya today took a turn for worse as one of the influential religious leaders left the city vowing not to attend the congregation.
Swami Swaroopanand Saraswati, Shankaracharya of the Dwarka `peeth` in the west, left for his ashram in Madhya Pradesh following the administration`s refusal to allot land for `Sankaracharya Chatushpad`, for which the pontiffs of Puri in the east and Shringeri in the south have also extended their in-principle support.
According to Swaroopanand`s key disciple Swami Avimukteswarananda, who is camping at a temple on the banks of river Yamuna, "the proposed move was aimed at distinguishing the genuine Shankaracharyas from the self-styled ones who have mushroomed all over and have been misleading people".
The `Sankaracharya Chatushpad` was to have been established by installing an idol of Adi Sankaracharya and allotting land at the four corners of its platform for camps of Shankaracharyas of the four seats (peeths).
"It was Swaroopanandaji`s view that fighting such elements through other means such as lawsuits would have been cumbersome. So having all the Shankaracharyas in one place would have proved to be an effective foil against those who take devotees for a ride," Avimukteswarananda said.
"However, the administration took an inexplicably stubborn stand. They refused the demand, saying it went against tradition, which is not exactly true. For the past three decades, the camps of Shankaracharyas have been in the vicinity of each other. We are not able to understand what harm could have been caused by setting up a statue of Adi Sankara," he said.
Officials entrusted with allotment of land for Maha Kumbh claim that the proposal was struck down following opposition from the `akharas`, a militant order of ascetics, also set up by Adi Sankara, whose presence is considered pivotal to the 12-yearly Kumbh congregation starting from January 14.
While office-bearers of `akharas` are tight-lipped over the controversy, Swaroopananda yesterday rubbished the administration`s claim as "a mischievous attempt to drive a wedge between the Shankaracharyas and the akharas".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in