Maha Kumbh: Shankaracharya relents following letter from UP CM
Allahabad: After threatening a boycott of the Maha Kumbh on account of a dispute over land allotment, Shankaracharya of Dwarka Peeth Swami Swaroopananda Saraswati has relented and decided to take part in the congregation following a conciliatory gesture by the Uttar Pradesh government.
The Shankaracharya, who had left the city last month after a tiff over setting up a proposed `Sankaracharya Chatushpad` at the congregation, returned to the city late last night.
His return followed a visit by a ruling Samajwadi Party MLA Ajay Kumar, who met the pontiff at his ashram in Madhya Pradesh and presented him a letter from Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav whereby he was requested to "bless the congregation with his presence".
According to supporters of the Shankaracharya, who holds the additional charge of Jyotirpeeth Badrikashram, Swami Swaroopanand is likely to enter his assigned camp at the Kumbh ground on February 1 "in a grand procession" a week ahead of the main bathing festival of Mauni Amavasya on February 10, which usually attracts the largest crowd.
The Shankaracharya had been miffed over the Kumbh administration?s refusal to allot land for the proposed "Sankaracharya Chatushpad" wherein pontiffs of all the four "Peeths" set up by Adi Sankara could stay at camps located close to each other and around a statue of the 8th century Advaita Vedanta seer.
The administration had expressed its inability to accept the demand, saying it would amount to "starting a new tradition".
On December 30, the Shankaracharya left Allahabad which was considered a major letdown for the administration.
Later, a symbolic "Chatushpad" was set up by the influential "Prayagwal" group of priests on the land allotted to them in an attempt to pacify the pontiff as presence of Shankaracharyas of all the four "Peeths" is considered vital for the congregation, which is held every 12 years.
Besides, the state government sent the ruling party MLA as its emissary with its conciliatory message.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!