Maid murder case: Police files chargesheet against BSP MP, wife
New Delhi: Three months after the death of their maid, Delhi Police on Saturday chargesheeted BSP MP Dhananjay Singh and his wife Jagriti, accusing her of murder and the lawmaker of abetting the crime and destruction of evidence.
The police chargesheeted Jagriti, a dental surgeon at a government hospital, for various offences punishable under the IPC, including sections 302 (murder), 307 (attempt to murder), 344 (wrongfully confining for 10 or more days), 506 (criminal intimidation) and under the Juvenile Justice Act.
While against Dhananjay, the police has invoked various provisions of the IPC including 109 (abetment of any offence), 201 (destruction of evidence) and under the Juvenile Justice Act.
Along with the charge sheet, hard disc of the CCTV cameras installed at Jagriti`s residence, where the incident allegedly took place, and statements of the prosecution witnesses were also filed before the court.
Metropolitan Magistrate Dheeraj Mittal has now fixed the charge sheet for consideration on February 4.
During the proceedings, the prosecutor told the court that some reports from the forensic science laboratory was still awaited and they would file it before the court later.
The prosecutor also said that hard disc of CCTV cameras contains "sensitive information" and it should be kept in a sealed cover with the court.
Copy of the charge sheet and other documents annexed with it were provided to both the accused, who were present in the courtroom. Dhananjay, a BSP MP from Jaunpur constituency in Uttar Pradesh, and Jagriti are presently in judicial custody.
Earlier, the police had filed a charge sheet against Dhananjay before another court in connection with a separate case lodged against him for repeatedly raping a 42-year-old railway employee for nearly four years.
Another court has taken cognizance of the charge sheet filed against Dhananjay in the rape case.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Sonu Agnihotri has fixed February 6 for scrutiny of documents filed with the charge sheet.
In the rape case, Singh has been chargesheeted for the offences under various penal provisions of the IPC, including 376(2)(h) (rape knowing that a woman is pregnant) & 376 (2)(n) (repeatedly raping the same woman), 377 (unnatural offence), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt) and 506 (criminal intimidation).
In the charge sheet, the police alleged that Singh had repeatedly raped the woman between July 2005 to March 2009.
Dhananjay was arrested by the police in connection with the rape case on November 21 last year and he is presently in judicial custody.
Earlier, Jagriti and Dhananjay were arrested on November 5, last year in connection with the death of their 35-year-old maid Rakhi Bhadra, a resident of West Bengal.
Rakhi`s body with injury marks on her legs, chest and arms was recovered from Singh`s South Avenue residence here on the evening of November 4 last year.
The police had said the MP and Jagriti allegedly used to "mercilessly" beat and torture their three domestic helps-- Rakhi, Meena and a minor. The minor domestic help had earlier showed to the court his severe injuries allegedly inflicted by Jagriti.
Police had said the domestic helps were allegedly tortured and thrashed by Jagriti with sticks, iron rods, clothes iron and even metallic deer horns.
Singh, who also faces charges of murder and offences under the UP Gangsters Act, was arrested for allegedly destroying evidence, not informing the police about the maid`s death immediately and employing a juvenile as domestic help.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow