Major fire at Kanpur power station
Equipment worth lakhs of rupees was destroyed in a major fire that broke out in a power sub-station here on Thursday.
Kanpur: Equipment worth lakhs of rupees was destroyed in a major fire that broke out in a power sub-station here on Thursday, an official said. No casualty was reported.
The fire engulfed the power sub-station in Jajmau area, following which five fire tenders were pressed into service.
"It was a massive fire that also spread to other establishments. We managed to bring the situation under control after nearly three hours of operation," chief fire officer Ram Darash told reporters in Kanpur, some 80 km from Lucknow.
"Some of the employees trapped inside the sub-station were rescued with the assistance of police. Transformers, power cables and other equipment worth several lakhs of rupees were destroyed," he added.
The incident has disrupted power supply to various areas in Kanpur. It is believed the fire was caused by an electrical short-circuit.