Major fire at meat exporting plant in Aligarh
Aligarh: A major fire broke out at a meat exporting plant here destroying property worth crores of rupees with no report of any casualty.
The fire at the plant, located on the outskirts of the city, was triggered by a short circuit last night in the unit`s packaging department, police said.
Within a short time, flames had engulfed major portions of the plant including its freezer and processing departments.
Aligarh division DIG Prakash D told reporters that over 100 fire tenders from at least five surrounding districts had been deployed to tackle the blaze.
The DIG said that an even bigger disaster was averted as fire-fighters doused the flames before it could spread to the plant`s chemical store where a large quantity of chemicals, including fuels, were stored.
The Alana Group meat processing plant, the site of the mishap, is one of the country`s leading facilities of its kind.
Although there was no official estimate regarding the losses in the accident, preliminary calculations suggest that the total damage is likely to exceed Rs 100 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you