Major fire at meat exporting plant in Aligarh
Aligarh: A major fire broke out at a meat exporting plant here destroying property worth crores of rupees with no report of any casualty.
The fire at the plant, located on the outskirts of the city, was triggered by a short circuit last night in the unit`s packaging department, police said.
Within a short time, flames had engulfed major portions of the plant including its freezer and processing departments.
Aligarh division DIG Prakash D told reporters that over 100 fire tenders from at least five surrounding districts had been deployed to tackle the blaze.
The DIG said that an even bigger disaster was averted as fire-fighters doused the flames before it could spread to the plant`s chemical store where a large quantity of chemicals, including fuels, were stored.
The Alana Group meat processing plant, the site of the mishap, is one of the country`s leading facilities of its kind.
Although there was no official estimate regarding the losses in the accident, preliminary calculations suggest that the total damage is likely to exceed Rs 100 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand