Major fire breaks out in Mathura; firefighter hurt
Lucknow: A major fire broke out on Saturday in a wood seasoning plant in Mathura in Uttar Pradesh, destroying goods and machinery worth over Rs 2 crore, police said. A fire-fighting official was injured.
The fire engulfed the Ram Wood Factory in Koshi area and eight fire tenders were pressed into service.
"It was a massive fire. The situation is now under control. Timely intervention by fire-fighting officials prevented the fire from spreading to nearby industrial establishments," police Inspector Arun Kumar told reporters in Mathura, some 350 km from here.
"Only a few employees and guards were present inside the plant at the time of the incident. They were rescued safely by the police and firefighting officials. During the rescue, an iron sheet fell on a fire official, who suffered multiple burns. He is being treated at the district hospital," he said.
According to officials, apart from drying the wood (seasoning), wooden products were also being manufactured at the plant.
"We are yet to ascertain the exact reason behind the fire. An electric short-circuit could be a possible reason that caused it," said Kumar.
Hari Sharan, owner of the wood seasoning plant, said: "There is a loss of over Rs 2 crore worth of goods and machinery."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- Ravi Shastri reveals truth behind MS Dhoni's sudden Test retirement!