Major fire in oil mill, no casualty reported
Varanasi: A major fire broke out on Saturday night in an oil mill in Ashapur area of the district, triggering panic among locals, fire department officials said.
"The massive fire broke out at Jhunjhunwala oil mill, setting off blasts in five oil tankers," Fire Officer Subhash Singh said, adding no casualty has been reported so far.
Over a dozen fire tenders have been pressed into service to douse the raging inferno, which could not be put out till midnight, and more fire brigades have been called from adjoining districts.
The fire has caused damages worth crores, Singh said.
Though the reason behind the blaze is yet to be ascertained, the fire official said it might have been caused by welding work being carried out on the mill premises.
Before fire fighters could reach the spot, the blaze had engulfed the refinery plant, cattle feed plant and godown of the oil mill, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered