Major rivers in spate in UP, flood situation worse
Lucknow: Flood situation remained grim specially in eastern region of the Uttar Pradesh where major rivers continued to flow above the red mark at several places in the state.
According to relief commissioner`s office here, so far a total of 289 people have been killed in the state in rain-related incidents this monsoon.
It said that 1,291 villages in 35 tehsils of the state have been hit by the floods where relief amd rescue operations were going on in full swing.
In the worst affected Ballia district, two companies of NDRF along with PAC and in Mirzapur one company of NDRF were assisting in the ongoing work.
A maximum of 374 villages in Mirzapur followed by 359 in Gazipur have been hit by the floods, the office said.
Major rivers like Ganga, Yamuna, Gomti, Rapti and Rohin were rising at different places during its courses.
Ganga at Varanasi was flowing .388 mts above the danger level, while it was flowing 1.405 and 2.335 mts respectively above the red mark in Ghazipur and Ballia districts.
Meanwhile, Irrigation minister Shivpal Singh Yadav assured that there is no dearth of funds to be utilised in the relief works and warned that laxity in the ongoing works would not be ignored.
Met office said chief amount of rainfall recorded in cms are- Gorakhpur-5, Fatehpur-4, Sultanpur, Basti, Kakrahi, Ghazipur, Basti, Bahraich -2 each, Ramnagar, Zamania, Turtipar, Chandradeepghat, Birdghat, Kheri, Mirzapur, Chunar, Rampur-1 each.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands