Make security, intel agencies accountable to Parliament: Karat
Lucknow: Alleging that security and intelligence agencies were arresting people and lodging fake cases against them "without any control", CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat Monday said they should be made accountable to Parliament.
"We would like to emphasise that security agencies in our country, whether at the Centre or at the state level, target people without any control, arrest them and lodge fake cases," Karat said while addressing a `dharna` of Rihai Manch here.
He said that parliamentary committees should be set up to monitor security agencies and they should "not be left on the home ministry alone".
Karat said that the government should frame a policy to give compensation to those who were arrested in fake cases and were released later after spending long time in prison.
"The judiciary itself has said that in cases where people were implicated on false charges and put behind the bars, action should be taken against guilty officers.
"We met the President last year in this regard. Rehabilitation of such people is the responsibility of the government," he said.
While referring to the death of terror suspect Khalid Mujahid in police custody, Karat alleged that he was "killed" and demanded a CBI probe into the matter.
He said that in case of Mujahid a commission was set up "which made it clear that his arrest was fake", but the government took no action.
Mujahid, an accused in serial blasts that had rocked Lucknow and Faizabad courts in November 2007, died in May this year after he fell sick and fainted near Barabanki border while being escorted to Lucknow jail after a court hearing.
Karat alleged that a large number of innocent Muslims were being arrested on terror charges and many were still lodged in jails.
The CPM leader said that even some youths were released by the courts after serving 14 years in prison. "No action was taken against those who implicated innocent people, in false cases," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued