Man arrested for raping 6-year-old girl in Aligarh
Lucknow: A man in his mid-thirties was arrested this morning for allegedly raping and murdering a six-year-old girl in Aligarh, which was rocked by violent protests against the incident.
The postmortem report of the victim, which was disclosed today, stated death due to asphyxia and on the basis of genital injuries, it appeared she was sexually assaulted.
The accused Somanna alias Suman had made a bid on his life and was arrested near a hospital in Aligarh where he was seen loitering suspiciously, Additional Director General of Police (law and order) Arun Kumar told reporters here.
"This morning a call was received that a person having injuries on his wrist and neck was moving suspiciously near the hospital," he said.
Kumar said the man was detained and his statement was recorded before the magistrate. "In his statement, Suman, who knew the family members of the girl, admitted to killing the victim," he said.
On the day of the incident, Suman had consumed liquor throughout the day and in the night went to the victim`s house, Kumar said.
"Suman said he intended to meet the girl`s father, but due to inebriated state he brought the victim and killed her," he said.
"Initially the accused refused that he had sexually assaulted the girl, but later admitted it," he said.
Kumar denied that the accused had attempted suicide in police custody. "The accused attempted suicide by slitting his neck and wrist last night following uproar over the incident, but failed after which he was roaming near the hospital hoping to get some treatment," he said.
The girl was raped and murdered and her body dumped in garbage in Banna Devi area in Aligarh on last Thusday, triggering protests by locals leading to brutal lathicharge by police in which women were also not spared.
Alleging police inaction in the case, the crowd had blocked traffic for several hours on the main Aligarh-Delhi Grand Trunk road.
The situation went out of control when protestors started pelting stones leading to lathicharge and firing in the air by police in which a Circle Officer allegedly beat women protestors also.
Taking note of the lathicharge on women as per footage shown in media, the ADG had ordered a probe in the matter and asked DIG Aligarh Prakash D to submit his report within three days. "The report is expected to be submitted by this evening," Kumar said.
Two PAC personnel, including a constable and head constable shown in the video footage were suspended and Circle Officer (Civil Lines) A K Singh, who allegedly assaulted an elderly woman, was removed from the post and attached with the police office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa