Man commits suicide in police custody
Kanpur: A man, who was handed over to
police for allegedly snatching mobile phone of a woman
constable here, committed suicide by consuming some poisonous
substance, police said on Monday.
The incident took place near Vijaynagar crossing in the
city last evening, when Anamika Pal was returning home in an
auto after her training at Armapur police station.
According to police, Sheru Chauhan snatched her mobile
as he got into the auto and tried to flee. When the woman
raised an alarm, people standing nearby got hold of him and
beat him up. Later he was handed over to police.
Chauhan, a resident of Varanasi, was being taken to
police station when he consumed some poisonous substance. He
was rushed to a hospital where he succumbed, the police said.
Police sources said the woman constable and Sheru were
friends but they had a fight. The deceased was just trying to
know her new number.
The investigation into the matter was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'