Man commits suicide in police custody
Kanpur: A man, who was handed over to
police for allegedly snatching mobile phone of a woman
constable here, committed suicide by consuming some poisonous
substance, police said on Monday.
The incident took place near Vijaynagar crossing in the
city last evening, when Anamika Pal was returning home in an
auto after her training at Armapur police station.
According to police, Sheru Chauhan snatched her mobile
as he got into the auto and tried to flee. When the woman
raised an alarm, people standing nearby got hold of him and
beat him up. Later he was handed over to police.
Chauhan, a resident of Varanasi, was being taken to
police station when he consumed some poisonous substance. He
was rushed to a hospital where he succumbed, the police said.
Police sources said the woman constable and Sheru were
friends but they had a fight. The deceased was just trying to
know her new number.
The investigation into the matter was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'