Man commits suicide in police custody
Kanpur: A man, who was handed over to
police for allegedly snatching mobile phone of a woman
constable here, committed suicide by consuming some poisonous
substance, police said on Monday.
The incident took place near Vijaynagar crossing in the
city last evening, when Anamika Pal was returning home in an
auto after her training at Armapur police station.
According to police, Sheru Chauhan snatched her mobile
as he got into the auto and tried to flee. When the woman
raised an alarm, people standing nearby got hold of him and
beat him up. Later he was handed over to police.
Chauhan, a resident of Varanasi, was being taken to
police station when he consumed some poisonous substance. He
was rushed to a hospital where he succumbed, the police said.
Police sources said the woman constable and Sheru were
friends but they had a fight. The deceased was just trying to
know her new number.
The investigation into the matter was on.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!