Man commits suicide in police custody
Kanpur: A man, who was handed over to
police for allegedly snatching mobile phone of a woman
constable here, committed suicide by consuming some poisonous
substance, police said on Monday.
The incident took place near Vijaynagar crossing in the
city last evening, when Anamika Pal was returning home in an
auto after her training at Armapur police station.
According to police, Sheru Chauhan snatched her mobile
as he got into the auto and tried to flee. When the woman
raised an alarm, people standing nearby got hold of him and
beat him up. Later he was handed over to police.
Chauhan, a resident of Varanasi, was being taken to
police station when he consumed some poisonous substance. He
was rushed to a hospital where he succumbed, the police said.
Police sources said the woman constable and Sheru were
friends but they had a fight. The deceased was just trying to
know her new number.
The investigation into the matter was on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Chaitanya Padukone pens book on 'Pancham Da'
- Japanese girl hit by train while using smartphone
- Trupti Desai seeks God's blessing ahead of Bombay HC verdict on women's entry in Haji Ali Dargah case
- I feel proud of Priyanka, Deepika: Anushka Sharma
- Euro 2016: Spain set for duel against Italy; England eye quarters vs Iceland