Man commits suicide in police custody
Kanpur: A man, who was handed over to
police for allegedly snatching mobile phone of a woman
constable here, committed suicide by consuming some poisonous
substance, police said on Monday.
The incident took place near Vijaynagar crossing in the
city last evening, when Anamika Pal was returning home in an
auto after her training at Armapur police station.
According to police, Sheru Chauhan snatched her mobile
as he got into the auto and tried to flee. When the woman
raised an alarm, people standing nearby got hold of him and
beat him up. Later he was handed over to police.
Chauhan, a resident of Varanasi, was being taken to
police station when he consumed some poisonous substance. He
was rushed to a hospital where he succumbed, the police said.
Police sources said the woman constable and Sheru were
friends but they had a fight. The deceased was just trying to
know her new number.
The investigation into the matter was on.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Chopper scam: Willing to come to India and face probe, says AgustaWestland middleman Christian James Michel
- Pro-Afzal event at JNU: Kanhaiya Kumar, others begin indefinite strike against punishment
- Meghalaya CM's wife, Sangma's son file nomination papers for Tura Lok Sabha bypoll
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks