Man dies in custody, eight policemen suspended
Ghaziabad: Eight police personnel have been suspended after an alleged auto thief died in police custody here in Uttar Pradesh, police said on Saturday.
A departmental inquiry has been ordered against all eight following the death of Mohammad Shakeel on Friday night, Senior Superintendent of Police Nitin Tiwari said.
The death, which the victim`s father alleged occurred due to torture, took place at the Kavi Nagar police station, according to one account.
Police sources, however, said that Shakeel, of Dasna in Ghaziabad, succumbed to injuries sustained earlier while being treated at a hospital in Ghaziabad.
Police said after he confessed to stealing some vehicles, it was decided to take Shakeel to Ferozabad to recover the vehicles. On the way, he reportedly complained of chest pain and vomited.
He died while being taken to a hospital in Delhi.
Shakeel`s father Mohammad Khaleel accused police of torturing the victim for two days and of taking away his mobile phone and Rs 61,000 in cash.
On a complaint by the father, a case was registered against the eight police personnel who have been suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'