Man dies in custody, eight policemen suspended
Ghaziabad: Eight police personnel have been suspended after an alleged auto thief died in police custody here in Uttar Pradesh, police said on Saturday.
A departmental inquiry has been ordered against all eight following the death of Mohammad Shakeel on Friday night, Senior Superintendent of Police Nitin Tiwari said.
The death, which the victim`s father alleged occurred due to torture, took place at the Kavi Nagar police station, according to one account.
Police sources, however, said that Shakeel, of Dasna in Ghaziabad, succumbed to injuries sustained earlier while being treated at a hospital in Ghaziabad.
Police said after he confessed to stealing some vehicles, it was decided to take Shakeel to Ferozabad to recover the vehicles. On the way, he reportedly complained of chest pain and vomited.
He died while being taken to a hospital in Delhi.
Shakeel`s father Mohammad Khaleel accused police of torturing the victim for two days and of taking away his mobile phone and Rs 61,000 in cash.
On a complaint by the father, a case was registered against the eight police personnel who have been suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!