Man dies in custody, eight policemen suspended
Ghaziabad: Eight police personnel have been suspended after an alleged auto thief died in police custody here in Uttar Pradesh, police said on Saturday.
A departmental inquiry has been ordered against all eight following the death of Mohammad Shakeel on Friday night, Senior Superintendent of Police Nitin Tiwari said.
The death, which the victim`s father alleged occurred due to torture, took place at the Kavi Nagar police station, according to one account.
Police sources, however, said that Shakeel, of Dasna in Ghaziabad, succumbed to injuries sustained earlier while being treated at a hospital in Ghaziabad.
Police said after he confessed to stealing some vehicles, it was decided to take Shakeel to Ferozabad to recover the vehicles. On the way, he reportedly complained of chest pain and vomited.
He died while being taken to a hospital in Delhi.
Shakeel`s father Mohammad Khaleel accused police of torturing the victim for two days and of taking away his mobile phone and Rs 61,000 in cash.
On a complaint by the father, a case was registered against the eight police personnel who have been suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Analysing the murder mystery of Sheena Bora case- Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack