Man dies in custody, eight policemen suspended
Ghaziabad: Eight police personnel have been suspended after an alleged auto thief died in police custody here in Uttar Pradesh, police said on Saturday.
A departmental inquiry has been ordered against all eight following the death of Mohammad Shakeel on Friday night, Senior Superintendent of Police Nitin Tiwari said.
The death, which the victim`s father alleged occurred due to torture, took place at the Kavi Nagar police station, according to one account.
Police sources, however, said that Shakeel, of Dasna in Ghaziabad, succumbed to injuries sustained earlier while being treated at a hospital in Ghaziabad.
Police said after he confessed to stealing some vehicles, it was decided to take Shakeel to Ferozabad to recover the vehicles. On the way, he reportedly complained of chest pain and vomited.
He died while being taken to a hospital in Delhi.
Shakeel`s father Mohammad Khaleel accused police of torturing the victim for two days and of taking away his mobile phone and Rs 61,000 in cash.
On a complaint by the father, a case was registered against the eight police personnel who have been suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video