Man dies in custody, magisterial probe ordered
Lakhimpur: A 42-year-old man died within hours of being taken into custody by police following which a magisterial inquiry was ordered into the incident and two policemen suspended.
An FIR has also been registered against six policemen in connection with the incident, police said Tuesday.
Brij Mohan Awasthi was taken into custody yesterday on charges of manufacturing illicit arms and the city police carried his body to the district hospital just a few hours after that claiming that he had committed suicide.
Police then allegedly obtained a statement from his wife Rani to substantiate their suicide story but the son of the deceased, Amit alleged that his father was murdered and cited injury marks on his body.
Describing the deceased as his party worker, district unit president of the BJP Vinod Misra threatened to start an agitation if action was not taken against the guilty cops.
City kotwali in-charge Ishtiyaq Ahmad, Mishrana outpost incharge Narvadeshwar Tewari and four others have been named in the FIR, police said.
Additional Superintendent of Police BB Singh said kotwali in-charge and the outpost in-charge have been suspended.
District Magistrate Gaurav Dayal has ordered a magisterial probe into the incident and directed that the post-mortem examination be videographed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened