Man dies in custody, magisterial probe ordered
Lakhimpur: A 42-year-old man died within hours of being taken into custody by police following which a magisterial inquiry was ordered into the incident and two policemen suspended.
An FIR has also been registered against six policemen in connection with the incident, police said Tuesday.
Brij Mohan Awasthi was taken into custody yesterday on charges of manufacturing illicit arms and the city police carried his body to the district hospital just a few hours after that claiming that he had committed suicide.
Police then allegedly obtained a statement from his wife Rani to substantiate their suicide story but the son of the deceased, Amit alleged that his father was murdered and cited injury marks on his body.
Describing the deceased as his party worker, district unit president of the BJP Vinod Misra threatened to start an agitation if action was not taken against the guilty cops.
City kotwali in-charge Ishtiyaq Ahmad, Mishrana outpost incharge Narvadeshwar Tewari and four others have been named in the FIR, police said.
Additional Superintendent of Police BB Singh said kotwali in-charge and the outpost in-charge have been suspended.
District Magistrate Gaurav Dayal has ordered a magisterial probe into the incident and directed that the post-mortem examination be videographed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt