Man lynched in Lucknow after he tried to rape teen
Lucknow: A 26-year-old man died after he was lynched by a village mob for allegedly attempting to rape a girl on the outskirts of this state capital, police said Monday.
Vasudev Rawat, a resident of Matth village here, was Monday assaulted with wooden sticks and iron rods by locals of the same village, following which he died.
"Locals attacked him this morning alleging he tried to rape a 14-year-old girl of Matth village after he abducted her and took her to a secluded place," Police Inspector Ved Prakash told reporters here.
"A case against 10 people has been registered for killing Rawat," he added.
Police have also detained four people, who allegedly instigated the mob to kill Rawat.
This is the fourth lynching incident that has been reported in Uttar Pradesh since February 2010. Of the earlier three incidents, two took place in Moradabad on Feb 19 and April 17, while another occurred in Meerut April 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS