Man sentenced to death for rape and murder
Bolpur: A man was today sentenced to death by a local court for the rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl at a village in Birbhum district in December, 2011.
Additional district Judge, Bolpur court Justice Manas Basu sentenced the man, Binay Majhi,a neighbor of the hapless girl, to death.
Majhi had lured the girl away with the promise of giving her chocolates while she was playing with another girl near her maternal uncle`s home at Santara village under Nanoor police station on December 9, 2011, government lawyer, Tapan Kumar Dey said.
When the girl did not return home at night, her parents and neighbours, started searching for her and came to know from the friend she was playing with, that Majhi had taken her away.
A mob then raided Majhi?s house where he confessed his crime. Later the body of the girl was recovered from a village pond.
Majhi had raped her and when the victim threatened to disclose it he strangled her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan